Monday 5 December 2016

Learning about Carolyn



So for the longest time, well actually all of my life, I have lived with my family. Even times when I didn't, I still did (6mo in Australia with my Auntie and Uncle). I do not regret this nor do I think it is a bad thing, in fact, if given the chance, I'd do it all over again.

These past two months have been very interesting for me because, for the most of them, I have been living on my own while my roomie was on sabbatical. Being alone (but never lonely) for the first time in 25 years of life provided some interesting perspective.

My first few weeks here, before my roomate left, I was advised by one of the pastors at Nairobi Chapel to begin loving my own company. He said we should all learn to enjoy ourselves, where we do not have the constant need for affirmation from others, but are happy in our own skin and in our own space.

Being a people person, I often would feel bad, or even guilty, if I were not hanging out with people I care about. I had a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out), so much that in the times when not with others, my worry meant I really was missing out... on enjoying life with me. :)

I'm not saying we should all become self-centered people who are absorbed with alone time. I am saying that I think it can be healthy and, for me, it's helped me to develop better who I am. The truth is, is that before having the chance to experience it, it's hard to know who you are when no one else is around.

Some interesting things I've learned about myself on this new adventure include:

  • I cook when I am bored or stressed or want to try something new (who knew?! I never cooked at home)
  • I like to dance around the house when no one is watching
  • I've found that the audio Bible is awesome to soak in the Word while getting ready for the day
  • I'm super happy with a coloring book and a few sharp pencils
  • I like to walk any place it's possible (but I already knew that)
  • I really enjoy the quiet and having time to think
  • A piece of chocolate cake and a coffee shop make a perfect self-date :)
  • I'm no longer sad for those who go to the movies by themselves... Because I've been there.
I'd love to know what you do while you've got "alone time." Please feel free to share. :)



1 comment: